Bono (in Conversation w/ Michka Assayas)
When reading interviews and biographies of rock stars, one prepares a bit for the interviewer to let them off the hook, get away with a band story in place of a personal one, or hide behind their reputations without really getting at their motivations.French music mag writer Michka Assayas does not make this mistake with U2 frontman, Bono. The result is one of the more well-rounded perspectives out there on rock's biggest showman, as the harder the questions, the better the answers on everything from music to politics to religion to love.
While initially annoyed by Assayas's presence and his tendency to make his own points in the midst of asking Bono for his, I came to appreciate the interviewer for his skepticism in the face of Bono's idealism, even for his atheism in the midst of Bono's faith (which, friends, is about as honest and forthcoming as anyone could hope for...strangely in between expletives, however - be warned).
Bono's optimism shines brightest when contrasted with pessismism; such was the case with critics of his idealism with D.A.T.A. (Debt, Aid, Trade, Africa), and such is the case in these interviews with critic Assayas. This inspiration - not policy and pragmatics - is that for which we look to Bono - musician and icon, not theologian or politician. True to form, he does not disappoint. Some quotes:
"I wish I could live the life of someone you could describe as pious. I couldn't preach because I couldn't practice. It's plain to see I'm not a good advertisement for God. Artists are selfish people." (25)Well-written and provocative, pick this one up and enjoy.
"Envy is like wanting something that's not yours. But desire is different. Desire comes out of wanting what is yours, and still wanting it even if it's not there." (38)
"I do see the good in people, but I also see the bad - I see it in myself. I know what I'm capable of , good and bad. It's very important that we make that clear. Just because I often find a way around the darkness doesn't mean that I don't know it's there." (85)
"The violence of suburbia starts with its ugliness." (113)
"Feelings travel better than thoughts." (195)
"Laughter is the evidence of freedom. A sense of humor is not always defensive. It can be a great attack dog." (266)
"There's a line in a song called 'Mercy' that we left off this album (How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb): 'Happiness is for those who don't really need it.' So I can live without happiness. If that's the price of fame, good riddance! Joy, on the other hand, is not up for sale. And my joy comes from a completely different place." (311)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home